Saturday, November 7, 2009

Guy Fawkes Day

It has come to my attention that Nov 5th came and went without me acknowledging Guy Fawkes Day. So I'll do it now and we can all pretend today is Nov 5th.

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

Basically, back in the day in England, this group of terrorists tried to blow up parliament. Word leaked out and the authorities found Guy Fawkes under the parliament building with 36 barrels of gun powder.
Now, every Nov 5th, British people celebrate the safety of the king by lighting big bonfires and burning effigies of Guy Fawkes. It is also known as Bonfire Night.

I'm mostly interested in it because it plays a big roll in my very favorite movie, V for Vendetta. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment